Thursday, July 9, 2009

It's Easy Being Green

Okay, so I am BY NO MEANS an expert on "living green"! Infact, I didn't even recycle when I lived in Nixa (please don't tell anyone! I know throwing away a can is shameful!)

Recently we were at the St. Louis Zoo and we stopped to watch a little presentation on Missouri animals. They showed us this big toad. The lady explained that he is so important to keeping mosquito and other populations down. However, many of these animals are dying off because of contaminants in their environment. People's cleaning chemicals are destroying them. It was a huge reminder on the beautiful and delicate balance God created for our earth. Every animal was so carefully planned to benefit the entire life system. So, I absolutely want to try to do my part to help protect my Creator's creation!

Here are some of the easy things I have been doing to "live green" for Jesus!
- I use reusable bags at the grocery store... so easy! If I get plastic ones I make sure I use them for trash liners and such. But, when possible I make sure to just dump all my trash into the biggest bag... I don't need a trash bag filled with 20 plastic bags! Plus, I LOVE my reusable bags from Trader Joe's, they are so cute!
- Use a reusable plastic water bottle... I bought an aluminum one which is awesome because it is BPA free so I know I am not ingesting nasty chemicals when I am trying to be healthy and it keeps my water cooler!
- I use natural cleaning products almost exclusively. I REALLY like the Method cleaning products they sell at Target. Aside from protecting the toads (haha) I love knowing that I can clean around my kids and not worry about the sometimes deadly side effects of them inhaling cleaning products!
- Okay, this is my new one and it is HARD for me... but when I am buying things (especially furniture or baby gear) I ask myself a few questions: Do I already have something that could work? Could I make something from things I already have? Can I buy this used? This is good for the environment and the pocket book!
- Turn off everything when not in use! I have taught Max to be my little helper in this area. He LOVES to turn off light switches so whenever we leave a room we try to turn off lights, c.d. players, tv's, etc.

Okay, I know those are small but those are my main ones. What do you do to live green for Jesus?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I love reusable bags too! We have 10 of them and use them all the time, even for non-grocery trips. Try using Baking Soda and Vinegar for cleaning also, I started using it because of being pregnant and it actually cleans better than most products I have tried for the kitchen and bathroom! And super cheap! We also switched to the new lightbulbs, and if you get the right ones they have a 9 year guarantee so you can write the company and they send a new one (for your new house that is) Hugs!
-HJG

jbt said...

I am a strong believer in stewardship of God's creation!
I pay for recycling services since springfield doesn't provide it. I also make most of my cleaners from vinegar and baking soda and I make my own laundry detergent.
I use energy efficient bulbs and I keep the thermostat set a little warm in the summer and a little cool in the winter.
I try to reuse container, even if it is just for the kids to play with for a couple of days.
I also have "go nowhere Mondays" where the kiddos and I stay home for the day. I plan the errands and playdates for other days in the week. It is good for all of us to have down time and we don't use any gas. This will change when the school year starts because big J will be in pre-K 4 mornings a week.
Another great benefit of being "green" is that you can save some serious money!