Sunday, September 21, 2008

Taking off the pounds

Grrr... so I am starting to get to the point after having a baby where my weightloss is slowing down. Breastfeeding for me really helps loose weight... but it can only do so much. Right now I weigh a few pounds less than my weight when I got pregnant. So, all the baby weight is gone which is awesome. But, now I have to loose the weight I have been wanting to loose for awhile. I am hoping blogging about it gives me some accountability and helps!

My goal is to loose 30-40 pounds. My only challenge is that since I am breastfeeding I can't really restrict my calories too much or my milk supply will go down. So my main focus will be making the foods that I eat healthier options and of course exercising. So, here are my goals:

1. no more soda:-( (I LOVE soda so this one will be tough! But, since giving up diet soda for health reasons I just can't afford the calories, plus it has no nutritional value.)

2. easy on the carbs (when I was pregnant I basically let myself eat whatever I wanted, so it is time to reign it back in)

3. exercise (both cardio and strength training)

It is important for me to loose weight because I want to be healthy, feel good, and be a good example for my kids. So, I will update my progress from time to time on here! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Mallory said...

Good luck, Katie! I've been working on losing weight, too. I had tried before a few times, and I never stuck with it. If you can find a workout buddy, it would be a really big asset. It sure is for me. Another tip I have is (as unpleasant as it sounds), take a "Before" picture. I did it, so now when I feel like I haven't been doing very well, I can look at the picture and see how far I've come. I don't look at it much (and I didn't look at it for months after I took it because I figured it would just make me feel bad about myself). I save it for when I need a boost. If you need any healthy recipes, let me know...I've got a lot. A great cookbook I got is called Cooking Light. It's a whole series, so there are lots of editions to choose from. Let me know if there's anything I can help with, even if it's just to share struggles. You can do it! You're beautiful as it is, so it can only get better from here :)

Christina said...

Hey sister!! You GO girl!!! Losing weight is certainly hard but I know you can do it!!! I agree with Mallory...finding an excercise buddy is so important! I have just started walking with my buddy (we have been walking for a week together now) and I already feel (and see) a huge difference!! Accountability is so important! I think your ideas about what you need to do differently are right on!! We will work together to not drinking soda, they ARE empty calories!!! (Even though it is so delicious!) I love you and I am so proud of you!!!!!

Jessica said...

good luck with the weight loss! this is something i need to do after our's is born, too. i gained some weight the first few years we were married and would love to see it disappear.

i'll be praying for nick and the transition to big city living. i have a feeling we aren't going to live around here forever and the thought of moving from the only place i really know freaks me out. change is hard, but it can be so good for us.