Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thinking about our finances

This morning I was up nursing Sophie and I was flipping through the channels and I came to Joyce Meyers show and she had the guy from Crown Financial Ministries on. Dave Ramsey has spoken highly of Crown Financial before so I was interested to listen. Crown's plan is a lot like Dave's but is more spiritually based. Anyway, as I was listening to the conversation between Joyce and this guy a statement really spoke to my heart...

"You need to do what you can and then God will do what you can't."

It was so simple but totally made me stop and think. When it comes to my finances am I doing everything that I can to make my financial situation better? Or, am I expecting God to just jump in and do things for me so that I don't have to make sacrafices? It would be so much easier to keep living the lifestyle I want and have God swoop in and miraculously take care of our debt and savings for a new house and retirement and college, etc. When I sit down to think about it I realize how rediculous that is! This was such a good reminder for me!

We have been doing so much better with our finances since we moved but I know that there is always room for improvement. We hardly ever eat out anymore (but there is still more room to cut some out). But, even with that small change it is amazing how much money we saved last month! Wow! Even when we were being "good" we were wasting so much money. I also used to go out to lunch several times during the week. Since we have lived here I haven't gone out to lunch during the week at all and that has also made a huge difference!

I am also learning so much more about the silly things I was spending money on before we moved. Since we are living with my Grandma right now I don't have a house to decorate or extra places to put things that I don't need so I don't buy those things. It is amazing the little things I would pick up at the store that would really add up. A candle that is on sale or pillows are no longer a temptation.

Anyway, I guess the whole "point" of my rambling is that I am still not convinced I am completely doing my part to attain the financial freedom that I believe God desires for His people. I am praying today that God will reveal to me other areas I need to be making changes in my money management. I am so thankful that we serve a God that does lead us and does provide for us in so many ways, even in our finances. I pray that I will be faithful with what God gives me and that I will be doing everything I can!

1 comment:

lholcomb said...

Katie,

Thank you so much for your mention of Crown Financial Ministries in your post. May God bless you on this journey.

Also, we have tons of FREE resources here if you are interested: http://www.crown.org/Tools/

Lee @ Crown