Thursday, October 9, 2008

Learning...

God is so facinating! He uses EVERYTHING to teach us! Right now I am in such a strange but wonderful season of life! I think our little family did every stressful thing imaginable in a one moth time (moved, started a new job, had a baby, sold a house) and we are really starting to just wind down from all of the caos. And, after the whirlwind I am finding myself a little big lonely in a new place. I am used to having lots of friends to do things with on a regular basis and now I don't. And yet, I am still seeing God's hand in all of it.

I kind of feel like I have learned more in the past 2 months than I have in the past two years. I didn't realize how much I was living my life from day to day just trying to fill the days with activities and social events. God is using this season of lonliness to let me know that I was doing things wrong! Although playdates and get togethers are fun I was making them my number one priority! God gave me the job of being a wife and mother and as much as I was wanting to make them my main priority I just wasn't! And, I didn't realize how much I was missing. Now when we have a playdate or activity more than twice a week I start to feel a little gyped out of quality time with my kids. In the past I would want to go out in the evenings and do soemthing just to be "out". Now if we have places to go after Nick gets off of work I almost get a little annoyed because I want to be having our family time. I used to always want to eat out and now I would much rather make a meal at home. Infact, Nick and I haven't had dinner out in over 2 months! And, I have lunch out maybe once every other week. The thought of fast food makes me a little ill now that I have been eating healthier and when I do get to go out (like for date night tomorrow!!) I am so excited! I also used to spend the whole day watching the clock for Nick to get home and if he was even half an hour late getting home I was so annoyed! Now that he is a job that is a little more demanding and he works longer hours I am somehow finding myself more content with being home alone with the kids. I mean, I would much rather have him home, but I have peace knowing that he is doing what God has for him right now.

I think time with friends and fellowhip are very important! But, I think God is teaching me how to put those things in their proper place. Isn't it amazing how we can take anything God gives us as a gift; friends, food, sex, etc. and turn it into sin? I do believe I was almost idolizing social situations.

I am so thankful that God has brought us to this place. What I have shared today is such a small portion of what I have been learning! But, I just had to share. God is giving me such peace and is showing me so much of my purpose for Him right now. I am just feeling so blessed and grateful for it all!

3 comments:

Christina said...

I loved this post friend!! I love our time at home so much!! I love hanging out with my kiddos in our jammies until noon, or later! I love watching Maddie experience things for the first (or hundreth time) everyday here at home! I love walking with my babies to the park and looking at flowers and tree's with Maddie on the way there! If we have too many plans in the week either we re-arrange them, or we ask people to come here! This is such a special time for us and our kiddos! Thanks for sharing!

In With the Light said...

your posts always speak to me and this one, seems very timely. rather than idolizing socialization, it is the need to get more money flowing through out hands. we are broke, and it seems that no matter how hard we work, there just is barely enough. brendan is stuck in a horrible job and we keep praying for a change, but i am finding that we might be too forcefull. so i am practicing pacience and acceptance. SO HARD!! i am glad to hear that God is humbling your need for socializaiton. he will show you soon where you are need. stay strong!

Jessica said...

god uses every season of life to teach us something new. painful and hard sometimes, but always worth it in the end! i wish we lived closer because it sounds like we would get along great. i'll pray that you find some good friends in your new city and until then that you'll continue to appreciate your time at home. the little ones aren't little for very long after all. :)