Monday, December 15, 2008

"I am the Lord's servant,' Mary answered. 'May it be to me as you have said..." Luke 1:38

Every year around Christmas time I read this verse and am always left speachless for a few minutes just pondering Mary's amazing faith. An angel came to her when she was engaged and told her she was pregnant with God's son! And she says, "I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said." I think back to when I found out I was pregnant with Max... a human baby that was conceived... well, you know, the normal way;-) And my reaction was nothing like Mary's even though I shouldn't have been very suprised at all! I remember thinking God was crazy and what would I do and what would people think (even though I was a married woman!). And yet, Mary, a young, virgin girl accepts God's plan for her with a humble open spirit. She had to have immediately thought, "what will people think?" "what will my parents think?" "will Joseph stay with me" "how will I raise God himself!?"

I have learned so much from this single verse in the Bible. And today I am still praying that in all circumstances I will accept God's will openly and humbly just like Mary did.

Father, help me to be more like Mary. Help me to accept what you have for me with an open and willing heart. Help me to be humble and understand that I do not know what is best. You do! And you want your best for me and my life! Thank you for choosing Mary to give birth to your precious son. Thank you for using her to teach all of us women how to respond to every task you call us to. I love you and am so grateful for all that you do for me and continue to do for me and my family. Amen.

No comments: