Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Advice

I have been so blessed in my life to have so many wonderful godly people in my life. God has put so many women in my life who have taught me so much and given me such valuable support and love. I love having women I can ask many questions and get advice from.
However, sometimes I struggle because I feel like there are so many people just perched waiting to give me advice. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but often these are people that I really don't want advice from. Why would I want parenting advice from people with out of control children or marriage advice from people in unhappy marriages? I appreciate so much that people want to help but I often don't know what to say. Often the advice I receive is something I don't agree with or that is biblically unsound. I have often attempted the "smile and nod" but then the people usually are offended when I don't take their advice or keep offering the same advice until I just want to scream!
I don't want to sound like I am a know it all or think I have it all figured out because that is so far from the truth. I know that there is so much I still have to learn and I welcome sound advice and direction. I love being a wife and mother and I always want to be striving to be better in those areas. I love in the Bible when older women are directed to train the younger women to, "love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of god." Titus 2:4-5. I know that I need training!
But, I just want to be able to receive unbiblical advice graciously but honestly. I don't want to be deceitful just to make people happy or not hurt someone's feelings. I want to be able to declare God's truth in all situations, even when someone is older than I am. But, I want to always be respectful and loving.
If you are reading this please pray for me in this area! I need all the help I can get!

No comments: