Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Roll to the Middle

There are so many couples I know that are getting divorced right now and my heart just aches for them. I can't help but wonder how they were feeling on their wedding day, most likely full of hope and joy for their future with the love of their life. I know that is how I felt. And, I can't imagine how they feel when their fairytale falls apart. I am not going to pretend for a minute that my own marriage has been a perfect fairytale full of breakfasts in bed, hand holding over candlelit dinners, and dancing around to no music by the fire... In fact, there were days when marriage was just plain hard work! Nothing glamerous about that! But, how could becoming one with a completely different person be anything but hard work! It is through God's grace that it is even kind of magical and wonderful!
I have always been so inspired by the music of Sara Groves. Her honesty and love for the Lord is so amazingly evident throughout her music. One song of hers in particular really touches my heart when I think about marriage. The song is entitled, "Roll to the Middle":

We just had a World War III here in our kitchen
We both thought the meanest things
And then we both said them
We shot at each other till we lost amunition

This is how I know our love
This is when I feel it’s power
Here in the absence of it
This is my darkest hour
When both of us are hunkered down
And waiting for the truce

All the complicated wars
They end pretty simple
Here when the lights go down
We roll to the middle

No matter how my pride resists
No matter how this wall feels true
No matter how I can’t be sure
That you’re gonna roll in too
No matter what, no matter what
I’m going to reach for you

I find so much comfort in knowing that no matter what happens, my husband and I are commited to coming back together and working it out. I feel such peace in knowing that we will both always roll to the middle.


No comments: