Thursday, November 20, 2008

thoughts from James

The book of James is one of my favorite books in the Bible. There is so much wisdom inside this tiny book. And one thing I love most about it is that this book contains some of the "hard stuff". It talks about the things we in the modern church struggle through the most. Issues like trials, favoritism, faith vs. deeds, taming the toungue, suffering, submission, ect. Everytime I read through James I feel such conviction!

One section in James that really stands out to me is a discussion on boasting about tomorrow. It says:
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes

We can be so full of ourselves! We can think we know what will happen in our lives! We make all of these big statements which may or may not be true. I love reading this section because it reminds me that God should be acknowledged in all that we do and all that we want to do. In some ways I believe that God has allowed this rough economy to teach all of us this lesson. We do not get to decide our tomorrows.

No comments: