Sunday, January 18, 2009

Breastfeeding update

So, the last few days have been some of the hardest days of my life. I spent at least a few hours crying everyday dealing with feelings of guilt and remorse over not breastfeeding anymore. I was absolutely miserable. Not to mention increadibly sore and engorged from not nursing.

On the way home from church Nick asked me if I was doing okay and said that I seemed a little down. I burst into tears and told him that I didn't want to quit nursing. I LOVED nursing our daughter and had just made the decision to switch to formula due to a drop in supply and lack of sleep! Even with the formula she isn't sleeping better so I felt I gave it up for nothing!

Nick and I talked through everything and he reminded me that it isn't too late to go back to breastfeeding. So, I called and talked to a lactation counselor today and did some research and decided to try to get my supply back up and continue nursing! Nick is out right now picking up a hospital grade pump for me to rent to get my supply back up (my husband is AMAZING!!) I feel such a huge sense of peace and relief!

I don't want to make this sound like I think formula is bad. I don't!! I didn't nurse Max after 6 weeks and I felt very little remorse over it. But, with Sophie I really enjoy nursing her and it really works well for both of us. I just feel like I ignored my mother's intuition and was left miserable!

So, please pray for me in my endeavor to get my supply back up... where I should have started in the first place! I love you girls so much!

5 comments:

Christina said...

I will be praying!! You are such a wonderful mommy!!! Love you!!!

Barr Family said...

Hey! You are a great mommy Katie! Just a tip of something that worked well for us...I nursed all during the day, except for right before bedtime and the girls would eat a little bit of cereal and do formula. Since I wasn't nursing that time, I would pump then and add it to the supply in the freezer for back-ups. It worked well for us. Also, in getting your supply back up, I'm sure the lactation person will tell you what works, but something that helped me was to pump right after nursing. You don't have to pump long and there won't be much left after she eats, but it helped boost the supply. Just a few things that worked for us...I will be praying that it goes smoothly for you!

In With the Light said...

first of all, I love your background! secondly, good luck on the nursing! i am sure things will work out here in the next few days as it seems clear that stopping cold turkey is not exactly what God had in mind. hang in there!

Jessica said...

i sent an email about formula a few minutes ago--disregard!

i'll be praying that all goes well!

Laurie said...

I was googling for info about FBC Wentz MOPS and stumbled across your blog. You're doing a great thing!! I also have to say that joining the La Leche League organization in St. Peters was a true God-send for me when I started breastfeeding 8.5 years ago. They are very inclusive of all moms, even moms who are supplementing. It might really be uplifting to check them out - there are some really great ideas there and they have contacts with lactation consultants in the area, etc. I'm sure there's a group in LSL and O'F.

I'm looking for a Baptist MOPS group in the area - do you know who the contact person would be, by chance? Thanks!
unschoolingblogger@charter.net