Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Please pray

Well, we are still attempting this breastfeeding thing. Today I am kind of discouraged because Sophie is not very interested in nursing and with a very demanding 2 year old there is not a whole lot of time for pumping. But, I am still giving it a big effort!

Today my heart is very heavy for a woman in my MOPS group. Her niece is in the hospital almost peralized (she came down suddenly with a neuromuscular disease) that has been linked in several young girls to the Gardisil vaccine). There is a chance she will be paralyzed for life because of this. I am so angry. I am angry because I have done a lot of research on the Gardisil vaccine including talking to doctors and nutrtitionists about it and to me it seems like such a risky vaccine! What makes me mad is that schools are trying to require it and many doctor's already have it on their regular vaccine schedule. Gardisil has not been out long enough! We are putting our daughter's in serious danger by not doing our research.

It has been such a good reminder to me to do my own research first. I am the mom and am responsible for what is given to my children. I cannot just trust that everyone has my child's best interests at heart.

Anyway, please keep 11 year old Alicia in your prayers! Her parents were just trying to do the best thing for her and follow their doctor's advice.

1 comment:

In With the Light said...

Katie, that is so sad! I hate hearing stories like that when it is related to vaccines. I had that vaccine a few years ago, pretty much right after it came out. I am SOO thankful that nothing risky came of it. It was, however, the most painful shot I have ever had before. Anyway, I will keep her in my prayers.