Thursday, January 15, 2009

So hard!

So, today is our second day of Sophie on bottles! Breastfeeding Sophie these past 5 months has been one of the best experiences of my life! It is such a special bonding time and she was so good at it right from the start. But, as some of you know, my little girl was not sleeping at all. She was up about every 2 hours wanting to eat. It is really hard to say "no" to a breastfed baby because you have no idea whether or not they are hungry because you have no idea how much they ate at their last feeding. So, I was one exhausted mommy! I started supplementing with formula in the evenings because I was so desperate for just a little bit of sleep! Well, as anyone who has breastfed knows, supplementing is breastfeeding suicide! My milk supply totally plummeted. So, I was left with two choices, switch to formula or work my butt off trying to get my supply back up by pumping and taking supplements. Although I loved breastfeeding so much I opted for the first one. Although I am a little sad and dealing with some guilt over it last night was wonderful. Sophie only woke up a few times and quickly but herself back to sleep. NO NIGHTTIME FEEDING! Woo hoo!!It was amazing! Of course, I was up all night because that is what I am used to doing! But, we are making PROGRESS!

So, if you get a chance please say a little prayer for me today! Please just pray that I will feel peace about my decision to switch to formula and not feel guilty. Our amazing Heavenly Father does not call us to a life of guilt but of freedom in Him! Thank you all so much for all of your love and support!

2 comments:

In With the Light said...

aww!! she is getting so big! what a big girl change for her. and what a change for you! you know what is best for your child and i have no doubt that you consulted the big guy about all this. don't worry. soph will adjust soon just as you will. hang in there!

Christina said...

I am so proud of you for sticking with it, even when it got hard!!! Sophie is so blessed to have you as her mommy!!!! You are amazing!! Love you!!