Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Necessities

As a lot of you know Nick and I are huge Dave Ramsey fans and are currently working through his plan to become debt free. We are making lots of progress which is so exciting. God has really blessed us during this process and has provided many unexpected gifts to help us.

Nick gets paid once a month so about this time every month we start working on next month's budget. (By the way, I LOVE getting paid once a month, although at first I thought I would hate it! But, since everything we pay for is paid once a month it just makes sense! But, you do have to be careful!) As I am starting to think about this month's budget I was thinking about necessities vs. things we want. We are making so much progress on our debt and should be debt free except for our house in less than a year but I can't help but wonder how much faster that process would go if we really were spending less money on our "wants".

I think society has really skewed my view on necessities vs. wants. I have become convinced of so many things that I should have that I don't stop to think about if I really need those things. Not that we need to deny ourselves of everything, but we do need to exercise descernment. And, as soon as we are debt free we will really be able to enjoy the things we want! Like Dave says, "Live like no one else so that later you can live like no one else."

Father, I just pray that you will help me to be a good steward of Your money. Show me what I need as opposed to what I want. Help me to spend wisely so that even through spending money our family can bring glory to You.

2 comments:

Mallory said...

Katie, I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog and it helps me as I'm learning be a wife (which I've been doing for a few days short of a year! Time flies!). Matt and I are hoping to buy a house later this summer, so this post was especially good to read. So, although I feel a little stalkerish reading this when I don't see you or talk to you much, I wanted to say thanks for posting. If you and the rest of the family ever visit Phoenix, let us know! Hopefully, we'll soon have a house we can open up to visitors!

Christina said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing! Isn't it amazing to step back and see what things we really NEED, and measure them against the things that we just really want!! God always provides for our needs!! He takes such good care of us!! I am so proud of you!!