Thursday, May 1, 2008

self-controlled

On Tuesday night we had some great friends from church over for dinner, the Clevenger's. We had such a fun evening! It was so fun to get to know them better and to learn more about them. Jacqueline is such a neat lady and she is just one of those people who seems to radiate Christ's love wherever she goes. While they were visiting they mentioned that they had fasted from all television for two years earlier in their marriage and that it was the best two years of their marriage. Wow! I can't imagine giving up T.V. for two years! But, long story short(er) it got me thinking about fasting. I have to admit, fasting is not a spiritual discipline I have really ever thought much about or really taken on. However, I absoltuly see its value. Especially when you give up something that is taking away your relationship with God or family. When I started thinking about this idea a Bible verse from Titus popped into my head... "Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands so that no one will malign the word of God" Titus 2:4-5.

It kind of hit me- self-controlled... I really lack self control in a lot of different areas in my life and I am NOT okay with this! I will not go into great detail because no one really wants to sit and list all of their faults for the world (or my faithful blog readers!) to look at! But, one area where I have always lacked self-control is in eating and specifically eating out. I love eating out. I think now that I have a family a lot of what I love about it is the conveniece more than the food but all the same I love it. Whether it is a quick burger at McDonalds, a fun lunch at Chili's or a fancy evening out at Nakkato... I love it all. And, I know that there is nothing wrong with eating out. However, it isn't okay to be controlled by something. In some weird way I have let eating out control my life. My desire to eat out on a regular basis is a large part of my struggle with weight and has been part of our struggle with finances. I have let it take over some of my life. I am sure it has hurt me in other areas as well.

I want to be able to enjoy eating out and make it a small part of my life. But, the last few days it has been on my heart that maybe our family should fast from eating out so that we can give it an appropriate place in our lives again. I have seen so much good that comes out of our eating at home as I have thought about it this week
  • we eat meals that are much healthier... who knows what is in restraunt food?
  • we have quiet time as a family around our dinner table... there is something very special about eating at your own home with your own little family
  • we are able to teach our son good eating habits, good table manners, and talk about healthy food choices
  • I am able to serve my husband and son through preparing a meal for them... and often my husband turns around and serves me by taking care of the clean-up!
  • we are all less distracted while eating
  • we save so much money by eating at home

So, I will be praying about this a little more... but I think our family is going to fast from all eating out for 30 days! I think it will be hard but everytime I want to just grab something to eat I will have the opportunity to thank God for providing for our family with healthy foods to eat at home and our wonderful family to eat with. I really think this time will help us to become better stewards of what God has given us and will bring us closer as a family which is always a good thing!

Please pray for our family as we take this on! I hope I haven't blabbed too much and that this entry makes sense! Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I am SO PROUD of you!! You are amazing!! You GO girl!! Love you!!