Monday, April 14, 2008

Revisiting an old friend

Today I started re-reading one of my favorite books of all time... "Beautiful in God's Eyes" by Elizabeth George. I truly believe some books just meet you where you are and this is one that met me right where I was at before Max was born. The book is a closer look at the Proverbs 31 woman which is of course inspiring. But, what I love most about this book is the practical advice. The book is filled with little tips on making your husband and children a priority, making good money decisions, and making your home a haven for your family.
Today when I picked up this book again I had a light bulb moment. I haven't been taking my job as a stay-at-home mom very seriously. Of course Max was one of my main priorities and I was absolutely making time for him and making sure his needs were met. And, of course my husband has remained a priority, but I realized I have not been considering staying home as my "job". I was living most days for my own entertainment, taking time for friends, shopping, and lunches out. But, this afternoon I realized, those things are okay... from time to time. But, they were taking time away from my job! If my house isn't clean, my dinner isn't ready to go on the table, my son on his schedule and doing everything he needs to do in the day, and my Bible study isn't done I have no business going out and playing. I was treating every day as a play day and honestly, I haven't felt very happy or fulfilled. Last week when I followed my dinner menu everyday and cleaning schedule I felt so good about myself. And, I noticed a change in my family's attitude. Nick seemed more relaxed and content in the evening and Max seemed to really enjoy the predictability of each day.
I am just so excited that I have realized what was holding me back from feeling fulfilled as a stay at home mom! I wasn't giving it 100%! Please pray for me as I learn and stumble through this process! I am so blessed to get to be a full time stay-at-home mom and I want to take full advantage of this opportunity! I want to everyday do what is best for my family!
I am sure I will be writing more on this topic as I read more during the next few weeks! So, be ready! Have a blessed day... I have some work to do:-)

No comments: